Monday, January 11, 2010

City of Portland to shoppers: STAY OUT!

Yesterday I made a big mistake. We decided, as a family outing, to go downtown. THAT won't happen again.

A nice relaxing afternoon, the last day before my son returns to college. We decided to eat lunch at Papa Haydns, and then kill some time browsing at Powells. Found a parking spot about two blocks from Powells, and spent about an hour and a half there.

Returned to the car - oops! A parking ticket. On a Sunday? I then remembered: those geniuses in City Hall decided to start charging on Sundays. Crap. Oh well, I completely forgot. I guess that one is on me.

So my wife opens the envelope - we are both wondering out loud how much they will nick us for. My wife predicted $12. I said "No, these things are $24!"

Forty-two freaking dollars!

OK, I get it. It won't happen again - I can assure you of that. I, and thousands like me have gotten the message.

No more shopping, eating, or any other discretionary activity whatever in Portland. Enjoy my $42.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

And then you'll stop whining about how everyone else is killing the economy?

Anonymous said...

Uh...

He's not killing the economy. He's taking the economy from Portland to somewhere else (his share anyway).

Anonymous said...

I haven't shopped downtown in over a year. Shops like Children's Place, will have to suffer w/o my hard earned dollars. No Louis Vuitton or Tiffany's "push present" either. The City of Portland made their decisions and I'm protesting by sending my dollars elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

The only reason I have been downtown in years is the main library & city government.

MAX Redline said...

You made a mistake, Rob. You pay for it, then move on. In general, I enjoy your posts, but this is far from your usual good material.

You should have known to take light rail; it isn't as though you didn't know it was there. Actually, I went into downtown Portland a few years ago, back when they still had businesses, but I took light rail to get there.

It was slow, but free. Not one fare inspector in either direction.

Silly me - I bought a ticket.

Kathy said...

MAX is free?
So what if it is?

It's slow,
inconvenient,
you still have to drive to it to use it, no privacy,
strangers are on it,
they're weird,
some of them smell,
I can't change my mind on the way, it's not as flexible as my car,
I can carry my own stuff in my own car, and lock it up,
and the parking is free at Bridgport and every other mall.

Stupid Creepy and hsi stupid friends are ruining downtown.

Other than that MAX and downtown are swell.

Anonymous said...

How many times were you panhandled during the journey?

Anonymous said...

Downtown Portland sucks...

Max is worse...

I went downtown once this year, to let the kids see the Christmas Tree at Pioneer Square and get the fix of window shopping. It was okay.

Max... I don't get why anyone would subject themselves to such a crime-ridden roach coach. Are Max riders retarded? Or just criminals themselves, enjoying some time with their own kind?

Anonymous said...

I've had the same experience and won't shop downtown anymore, either.

The vast majority of bureaucrats and pols at City Hall don't understand the connection between their anti-business policies and the failure of so many retailers in the core area. It is maddening.

Untitled said...

Great blog yyou have