Friday, September 08, 2006

My Daughter, the light of my life

Today is my daughter Jessica's 18th birthday.

All the cliche's about how fast it all goes most certainly apply, but I won't bore anybody with them. Instead, I'll indulge myself by describing her.

She is certainly beautiful. She is also talented. She has a professional quality voice - if you attended either of the last two KXL "Talk Fests" you heard her sing the National Anthem or God Bless America.

She is very smart. She works hard in school and gets good grades.

But to really describe Jessica, I have to talk about her spirit. Anybody who knows her will attest - she has the most incredible inner beauty, warm, loving and caring.

Another cliche of parenthood is the nightmare of bringing up a teenage daughter. No such nightmare in our home. Jessica decided years ago that she was going to make it easy on us.

For that, of course, I am thankful. But mostly I am thankful for the person she is. I've learned so much from her. She thinks of me as her teacher and mentor in many things, but what she doesn't know is how much she has taught me.

She's 18 now, and I am madly in love the adult she has become.

Thanks for indulging me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob I have met your daughter and I have met you and I can only say: Obviously she was adopted!

MAX Redline said...

Rob,

Congratulations to you and to your family. As the parent of a 14-year-old daughter, I know you've had some ups and downs, and it's good to see you all have come through them well. With best wishes for her future - and yours.

I am Coyote said...

Ditto to Anon... j/k of course

However you are a blessed man for it.

Anonymous said...

Just think how much better off she would have been with the Portland children's bill of rights.
And how much more behaved as a parent you would have been.

Oh the poor children of yesterday, how did they every make it without Portland politicians butting into families.

Anonymous said...

Hello Rob Glad you have raised your daughter to someone you can be proud of!into adulthood!congratulations