Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Sam Adams, Scumbag
Or, I guess I should say: Mayor Scumbag.
Honestly, are the people of Portland going to accept this? I think this issue is a great bellweather for just how far Portland has sunk into the abyss. If Sam Adams is allowed to stay on as mayor, this city is done. Forever.
Why do I say that? Look what this disgusting excuse for a man did:
1) He took advantage of a troubled young man who approached him for personal advice at a time of severe emotional stress, and had sex with him. This is absolutely, 100%, completely wrong, and in and of itself should end his political career.
2) When Bob Ball brought the story out in 2007, Sam Adams went on the offensive. He trashed Bob Ball publicly, said this was just a political smear by a would be rival, and went on to play the victim, saying that Ball's accusation played into the stereotype of gay men predating on younger men.
How cynical can you get? Adams basically went all-in on the denial. It wasn't enough for him to just deny and try to get the story behind him, he used the story and his denial to get sympathy by playing the gay card. And all the while, he knew that he WAS the stereotype of the disgusting gay predator.
3) He ruined the reputation of Bob Ball. Just roadkill, I guess, on his path to election.
4) He leveraged the sympathy he created in his denial into votes. Would he have been elected if he had told the truth? So his election is invalid.
5) It is still an open question whether Sam Adams really "waited" until Beau Breedlove was 18 before they had sex. How can we trust what he says? He is a confirmed liar.
There is one very positive aspect to this story, however. Randy Leonard has been confirmed as a buffoon. I mean really! He said "Sam Adams never lied to me." Huh? Randy says he never asked Sam if he had sex with Beau Breedlove, he only asked Sam if he had ever had sex with an underage person! As if when Sam Adams went public with his denial and trashing of Ball and playing the gay card, he was speaking to everyone in Portland except Randy Leonard!
OK Randy. We got it. Defend Sam to the end.
I have a feeling that Sam Adams will survive this. He will be damaged, for sure. He will be a standing joke in the talk radio and blog world. But he probably survives.
A more ethical person would resign, but Sam Adams has shown us that his #1 priority is Sam Adams. He doesn't care who he destroys along the way. It is all about Sam. He will weather all the catcalls, because this is his life. He knows nothing other than a quest for power.
And Portland will sink further into the abyss.