Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Jeff Merkley Interview

We had Senate Candidate Jeff Merkley on Kremer & Abrams Sunday. He was booked for a full hour, but when he got there he changed it to just half an hour. By the time he left, I'm sure he was glad for that.

It wasn't so much that I came after him, but that he was so clearly unprepared to defend his statements and views when challenged. Instead of explaining his position, he got flustered and defensive.

I was astonished. Here's a guy who is not a dim bulb. He is a Stanford grad, long-time representative, Speaker, and now Senate candidate. And he acted as if nobody had ever challenged his pronouncements before.

Which got me thinking: nobody probably has! Here in our one-party state, Democrats say whatever they want and nobody ever calls them out. A certain type of mental atrophy sets in, and it clearly is advanced in the Merkley brain.

It started when he gave the usual Democrat talking point abou health care being a fundamental right. I challenged his understanding of the definition of "right," pointing out that properly understood, a right is something the government cannot do to you, not something that the government must do for you.

I told him that the notion of individual rights are a founding principle of this nation, and that he should be careful not to change the meaning of what a right actually is.

He looked at me with that haughty indignation that Democrats always have when you point out that their philosophy is essentially the opposite of what our nation was founded upon. And he went right to their default response - try to take the moral high ground by talking about children and needs.

And boy was he flustered. So much so that my co-host was shaking his head after Merkley left.

It's a long way to the election, but he better improve if he expects to impress people. Very, very weak.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You hit something very interesting Rob.

I heard a perfect illustration of this phenomenon from a college student at one of Oregon's prestigous private institutions. It went something like this:
"As a conservative on campus I have to constantly defend my opinion and view of current events. All my liberal friends have to say is, "Bush sucks!" Everyone agrees and the conversation is over."

It doesn't surprise me at all that Merkley was caught so off guard by being asked tough questions.

Anonymous said...

One thing that struck me was his apparent complete ignorance of any
science and scientists who have contradicted the left's Global warming drumbeat.
It seemed he was genuine in beleiving there is no such opposition.

Unknown said...

Good post.

I really wish you had a podcast up at KXL's website. I would go out of my way to listen to it.

Good job on your part. Its rare that liberals in this state must expand beyond soundbites of feel good platitudes. Probably because this is a simple illustration of what happens when it occurs.

Rob Kremer said...

The interview is posted on KXL's podcast site, but I can't seem to get it to work. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or don't have the right plugin or whatever - my producer is looking into it.

See if anybody else can make it work: here it is: http://newsradio750kxl.podomatic.com/entry/2007-09-02T11_09_32-07_00

Troutdale Canfield said...

Rob, that link's options are "send to friends", "comments", and "Permalink". There's no "download" option.

I missed the interview and would love to hear it. I hope KXL enables downloading for your interview.

Anonymous said...

I believe the word is "indignation."

Rob Kremer said...

Right you are.