Monday, July 31, 2006

Mistake on the Portland Teachers Contract

In a post last month I criticized the Portland School Board for agreeing to pay hikes in the new teacher contract without getting any concessions on either the cost of health insurance or the teacher assignment situation.

I got one significant part wrong, however. I misinterpreted the Oregonian report (which was pretty vaguely worded) thinking that the teachers got a 2.5% raise this year plus a 2.5% COLA. I was wrong - there was no 2.5% raise, just the COLA. Sarah Carlin-Ames, PPS spokesperson, wrote me today to correct me.

She points out that the new salary grid puts PPS in the middle of the pack as far as teacher pay. My points about the district's failure to address the health insurance and teacher assignment issues are still valid.

1 comment:

Urban Docent said...

Rick Emerson (on Solid State Radio) is the best radio program I have ever heard - period. Portland rocks!